Located in the Mansion Park neighborhood, in Altoona, stands a three story, 28-room home known as Baker Mansion. The exterior walls of the home are faced in limestone, the decorative work is made of iron, cast at the Allegheny Furnace, and the building has six fluted ionic columns. The inside of the mansion contains black walnut woodwork and fireplaces made of Italian marble.
Originally, Baker Mansion was home to iron Master Elias Baker and his family who in 1844 contracted Baltimore architect Robert Gary Long, Jr to design him a new home. Construction started in 1845 and after some delays, it was completed in 1849. Elias spent the remainder of his life in the home until his death in 1864. Elias Baker’s wife and children continued to live in the mansion until their deaths. The home was vacant after Anna Baker’s death in 1914 until 1922 when the Blair Historical Society leased the building, opening it as a museum. In 1941, the society was able to purchase Baker Mansion and continue to run it as a museum till this day. The building is open to public with regular tours as well as a number of special concerts and events. Baker Mansion was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975
The mansion is filled with furniture owned by the Baker family. Exterior rehabilitation was completed in 2001 that returned the outside of the building to its original appearance. Work is continuing to be done on the inside too, in 2015 the double parlor was restored